Undeniably, time is the most precious element in business and in life. Perhaps, it’s the only thing everyone wants more than money. A typical young entrepreneur has so many ideas to innovate and so many goals to achieve. And the human greedy temperament makes it questionable if we have enough time to accomplish everything we want to! Even if we had a 48-hour day or could finish two days’ worth of work in only one, time still would elude us. It happens every time!
There are few steps to be taken care of while you yearn to gain productivity with ample amount of work in your hands.
- Set your goals right – At the outset, outline the do-able task list for yourself according to capabilities and talent to cope up with the work pressure. You can lie to the world but not to yourself. Make a checklist do all the work that needs to be done in 24 hrs. Trust me your half work is done with this checklist.
- Prioritize – Second step to achieve the set goals in given time is to prioritize your work. You might be the compulsive one to list out all, but you need to know that which work can be keep at bay to finish the most important ones. So, prioritize your work very wisely.
- Say no to workload – We often overburden ourselves with work. That is just a big ‘NO’ in time management checklist. We should never take more than what our limits and ability to handle things state to.
- Plan ahead – One of the basic tools to attain the given set of goals is planning. Planning combines your time management, priorities and the ability to handle the sudden shocks at work. Although, it’s not always that our plans succeed, however, we should always have a backup plan and the last-moment strategies accessible to attain the given goals.
- Eliminate distractions – Most of the times we plan, prioritize, we set plans, strategize over them but still fail to achieve targets. This usually happens when we don’t concentrate on what’s being set and get distracted towards lesser important things on checklist (maybe due to external requests). So, just be very careful and stick to the prioritized job.
- Delegate more often – Delegating work can really do wonders to your strategies. Delegation to the subordinates or to the responsible person can actually make your job easy. This way you may achieve your goal in half time. Always remember that sometimes, hard work doesn’t count but smart work does.
- Take care of yourself – Lastly, it is important that you stay physically and mentally active at all times. So, stay healthy, think positive, prioritize sleep in your checklist to be able to practice time management even more effectively.
Everything that can be measured, can be managed. In the determination to manage your time more effectively, always remember that not everything can or should be managed. An old honest proverb puts it as “there’s always tomorrow”. And if you’re doing something you enjoy with your time off, that time is not wasted. Time is our most precious resource. Manage it well.