The peer pressure on maintaining healthy eating habits, with all those junk-food commercials around, can make getting your kids to eat well an uphill struggle. A good practice from an early age is ideal for a hedonistic lifestyle. The habit of maintaining a healthy diet from a younger age helps you to overcome unhealthy dietary patterns, physical inactivity and indiscipline to a healthy body image. With an increasing love for junk food and unhealthy eating habits in kids, it has become imperative to ponder over possibilities to encourage healthy eating habits in kids.
Thus, these guidelines will help you to ensure that your kids get enough nutrients on daily basis:
- Scheduling the day: The best to start with is by scheduling the diet of the day for your kids; like three meals and two snacks a day. Every child needs proper nutrition for accurate growth, so make sure you include enough nutrients as you plan the diet.
- Don’t become a short cook: Being a short cook means preparing different meals for every family member. Don’t indulge your child to take the pleasure of choices and be stringent in terms of providing a healthy nutrition.
- Initiate together meals: Having meals everyday on the same time is also a good habit that should be imposed as it helps to observe your child eating habits as well. This will support you to plan meals for the rest of the day.
- Add creativity while you cook: Another trick to provide the balanced diet to your kid is by try to cook the monotonous food in an innovative way. Add sweet and spice to your child’s life. Like, different shapes or beautiful dressings that will make the food look and engage your kids in healthy eating.
- Bite your tongue: You should never force kids to have the food on the table that they are leaving. Pushing them to have nutritious food will only make them not to have it.
- Dip it: Make attractive dressings on food to make them look enticing and tempting. Good dressing on food and creatively served food is irresistible and even to the grownups.
- Don’t ban junk outright: Don’t make a mistake of banning the junk food outright as this will only instigate kids to indulge more into junk food. Balancing it with some homely creative recipes is the key to totally shift their interest.
- Be a role model: Eat what you want your kids to eat. Kids always follow their parents and act what they do so try to eat healthy and good in front of your kids.
- Let them know their food: Take your children to grocery shop, teach them where their food came from. Let them choose some of their favorite nutrients and take a bit of food of their choice too. That will help them to have fun and will attract them to have what they bought.
- Indulge kids in cooking: Kids who love to eat will also love to cook. Give them delicious recipes to prepare. Insist and guide them to add veggies, cheese and healthy items on it as it not only looks colorful but also tastes yummy.
It’s not a natural habit to crave for junk; kids aren’t born to like pizza and avert broccoli. Kids acquire this habituation over time as and when they are exposed to more and more unhealthy food choices. The sooner you introduce wholesome, nutritious choices into your kids’ diets, the easier it will be for them to develop a healthy relationship with food that can last throughout their life.